One of the first decisions that you will make when starting a business is to choose a business name. Business naming is a choice that you need to make early on and is probably one of the most important decisions that you will make as a business owner or entrepreneur. Here are seven simple yet effective ways to name your business for success.
- A Successful and Powerful name is short – Think about the most successful brands around the world: Adidas, Starbucks, Apple, Google, Pepsi – these names are very short in length but pack very powerful punch. So, you will want to choose a business name with similar excitement and brilliance. As much as possible, keep your business naming decision not more than 10 characters.
- Successful business names have clarity and bold texture – You know a great company or business name if you often hear or see it. These kinds of names just roll off your tongue. So you will want to name your business that just sounds easy and right when saying it. The name needs to be easy and clear to pronounce. You will also want to avoid names that are difficult to be spelled. The easier and simple the name is to be communicated, the easier it will be for your potential customers to remember.
- Your business name should be integrated and expandable – You don’t want to choose a name that is very limiting in product or geographic scope. So if you choose the name of your place, you are mainly limiting yourself only to you place. And you also need be careful about including a specific service or product in the business name.
- Avoid naming your business with hyphens, numbers, and non-alphabetic characters – In general, hyphens and numbers will only confuse your customers. Just stick with the alphabetic characters. If you want to uses non-alphabetic characters such as #, %, @, &, you will want to pay more attention to clear communication.
- Make sure that the domain name is completely available – In online business today, the .com domain extension would mean for business So you’ll want to choose a business name where the name.com domain name is completely available. For most of businesses, an effective name is of little uses unless you have an exact-match domain. It is very easy to look if the name is already registered by checking out the ownership at whois.net.
- Ensure that you can use the business name legally – There’s nothing more frustrating than developing a great name only to find out that it’s already used somewhere else. Naming your business should be unique and doesn’t infringe on rights of another company.
- Consider how your business name will be translated globally – If you’re looking to market your products or service around the world, you need to have a universal business name. Run your business naming ideas through Google translate to see if you name has unintended meanings.
Following these 7 steps on how to name your business will help you create the best name for you business.
Are You Ready to Name Your Business?
Get The Ultimate Business Naming Guide from InspiredWork and choose an inspired name for your business.